Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Nurse Tracy Calling

******
******
Four Winds Oncology, can you hold?

Of course

May I help you?

May I speak with one of Dr. Obenchain’s nurses?

I’m Nurse Tracy, I can help you.

Oh hi Tracy. I don’t believe we have met before. This is “TC” I got a letter from SMIL stating they it was imperative they do additional studies, to supplement my breast MRI last Tuesday. I have called them. They want to do a mammogram on my right breast and an ultrasound on my left. They will need the doctor to fax over orders. But, I have a couple of questions that I need answered before we proceed.

Of course. Tell me what they are and I will talk to doctor and get back with you, and I will talk to her about the orders.

Thank you, my questions…concerns, rather are (1) since the MRI is a more comprehensive diagnostic exam than either an ultrasound or mammogram – even a diagnostic mammo, why do we need to do either? SMIL said that the MRI images were perfect in clarity; and (2) what is SMIL seeing on the MRI that makes them (a) want to do additional exams, and (b) what less comprehensive exams tell us that the MRI can’t?

I can’t answer those questions, I will have to request the report, have doctor review it and call you back.

Yes, I realize that, thank you. I would appreciate you following up with the doctor, thank you.

4 hours later….

Ms. TC, this is Nurse Tracy calling from Dr. Obenchain’s office. I have your answers. SMIL says that they do not have a current mammo on your right breast and want it for their records, so that is the reason for that follow up exam. Regarding the ultrasound, because the scar tissue from the sentinel node biopsy is greater in size than your last PetScan they want to make sure of what is there. That is the reason for the ultrasound request. The doctor said that's fine, and I am preparing the orders to fax over to the lab now.

Oh. What about my initial question?

What was that?

My question of necessity. Since the MRI is a more comprehensive diagnostic exam than either an ultrasound or mammogram– even a diagnostic mammo, why do we need to do either?

Oh, as I said, because SMIL says that they do not have a current mammo on your right breast and need it for their records. And, because the scar tissue from the sentinel node biopsy is greater in size than your last PetScan they want to make sure of what is there.

Right, I understand what you are relaying as SMIL’s reasons, but isn’t it true that the MRI, that was just conducted 6 days ago, is a more comprehensive diagnostic exam than either an ultrasound or mammogram– even a diagnostic mammo. And as such, that it should give both SMIL and Dr. Obenchain the information they need to determine what is going on with the scar tissue as well as the status of the right breast?

Ms. TC, you haven’t had a diagnostic mammogram on the right breast in over a year. With your history, you need to have a diagnostic mammogram at least annually.

Tracy, I don't think I agree. I am not so sure that is necessary, in light of my history. The mammograms are not as effective as detecting ILC as an MRI.  My individual history includes the sequence of diagnostic events, in order of certainty, as: (a) diagnostic mammogram; (b) ultrasound; (c) biopsy; and (d) MRI. Knowing all this, I raise the question - isnt doing a mammogram now going backward, diagnostically speaking? And, therefore unnecessarily exposing me to radiation?

Ms. TC, radiation exposure to mammograms is minimal. You got significantly more radiation exposure with the MRI.

Um…Tracy. I don’t believe that is completely accurate. My understanding is that an MRI does not involve exposure to ionizing radiation. Doesn't an MRI use magnetic fields and radio frequency pulses – not radiation. Mammograms, on the other hand, do indeed use ionizing radiation – I know the radiation levels are not astronomical but it is certainly higher than an MRI. Besides, aren’t there more risks of false positives with mammograms than MRIs?

(Pause...heavy sigh...) Ms. TC, it is your choice as the patient, if you do not want to have the mammogram that is just fine. I will note that you are declining the mammogram here in the file. Is there anything else, otherwise I do need to attend to other patients.

What about the necessity of the ultrasound? My understanding is that the MRI would be more conclusive in determining what is going on with the scar tissue than an ultrasound.

Again, Ms. TC, it is your choice if you do these exams or not. Doctor has signed the orders. Just let our office know what you decide. Have a good day.





I hung up and immediately started writing. Since the beginning of this journey I have always kept a journal when meeting with or talking to any and all medical professionals. There is too much information and bias that is thrown out there, and taking notes is the only way I can properly process and distill everything in my own time and context. With the second conversation, four hours later, I was keeping copious notes. I wanted to confirm for myself whether or not my questions had indeed been answered - or not. It is entirely possible that I am suffering some residual effects from last week’s concussion and was just not "hearing" Nurse Tracy. Though, I am fairly certain - upon review, that the substance of my questions were never addressed.

Thank you, Nurse Tracy, you have a good day too!

No comments:

Post a Comment